Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Personally outstanding passages by Arendt

My example of a poorly written sentence comes from the bottom of page 16:
"If, therefore, the use of the term vita activa, as I propose it here, is in manifest contradiction to the tradition, it is because I doubt not the validity of the experience underlying the distinction but rather the hierarchical order inherent in it from its inception"
The most important problem I have with this sentence is that it runs for far too long. Also the way it is phrased made it difficult to follow as I was reading so I had to reread it a few times and I still dont know that I fully understand Arendt's intention behind it.  Her contrast between vita activa and vita contemplativa is interesting though their are several more run on sentences and instances of odd word choice which made this a difficult section to read and comprehend. Had I been reviewing this book before its release I would have encouraged Arendt to slim down some of her sentences and maybe alter her word choice in certain spots.

My choice for a good sentence:
"The mortality of men lies in the fact that individual life, with a recognizable life-story from birth to death, rises out of biological life." (19).
This is a very clear and concise sentence which conveys its intended message very well. Arendt is making an interesting distinction between the human life and all other life and while this statement may not be without its flaws, at least it is much clearer than my previous example. This sentence is part of her larger argument that men are the only true mortals as each of us is distinctly unique while other creatures only exist as members of a species and lack the unique characteristics of man. This viewpoint can arguably be challenged by notions of unique animals such as pets or other beings which are capable of producing works and deeds which may detract from the quality of the sentence. I did enjoy this section more so than others and thought that this passage was a good way of conveying Arendt's message.


No comments:

Post a Comment